How To Shop It
Zulily can either be a decent deal or an amazing deal, depending on how it’s done, because shipping charges cut into your savings. Here are a few tips on how get the biggest bang for your buck:
- Purchase “staple” items on Zulily so that you can get free shipping on other purchases. If you know you need a Halo Sleepsack, or Stride Rites or Crocs or Keens, wait and purchase them on Zulily. On those items, you’ll fare slightly better than you would Amazon, even with shipping charges. Then you’ll get free shipping on any other Zulily purchase for the rest of that day (or weekend, if it’s Friday). And those purchases are the ones you’ll really score savings on.
- Purchase one item at a time, and purchase your lightest weight item first. This will minimize your shipping charges. So if you know you need a Halo Sleepsack and you’re also getting some sort of Thomas Train set, purchase the sleepsack first, pay the shipping on it, and then get free shipping on the heavier item.
- Know the brands. It’s hard to take advantage of your free shipping if you’re totally unfamiliar with the other brands on sale that day. Some of them are absolutely amazing and others are not worth your money. I’ve polled my two local list serves for feedback on lesser-known brands and this is what I’ve come up with. I’ll cover the known brands first just in case you’re really a newbie. If you’re reading and you’ve tried out a brand not mentioned here, please post a comment and let us know!
- “Heart” your favorite brands so that you’re notified when they’re on. You probably don’t have time to look over everything in your daily Zulily email. If you “heart” a brand, Zulily will send you a reminder email the day before it’s on so that you don’t miss it (if it’s something like MiniBoden, be sure to check Zulily right at 9 am because stuff sells out quickly). To “heart” a brand, search Zulily for that brand. If they carry it, it will come up with a little heart outline icon. Click the icon to “fill in” the heart and it will be on your “favorites” list. You might want to start by “hearting” Mini-Boden, UGG Australia, Stride Rite, Tea Collection, Hanna Andersson, See Kai Run, and Keen, to name a few.
- Join my Facebook group (click here) and set notifications to “receive all.” I constantly scour for sales and I only post the best ones on the best brands (and not just Zulily!).
- RESELL! I can’t say it enough. Any time you purchase a high-end clothing item, keep it nice and recoup what you can on ebay. Check out my other blog entries “Designer Baby on a Budget: 10 Steps” and “Ten Tips for Reselling Children’s Clothing on Ebay.”
- Hanna Andersson. Oh boy, it doesn’t get much better than this. Heirloom quality knits by a Swedish-American designer. These are soft and gorgeous, they last forever (fantastic resale value if you keep them nice), and they’re actually pretty practical for playing in. Hanna Andersson really shines in fall and winter – you just can’t beat their sweaters and sweater dresses.
|Hanna Andersson outfit with See Kai Run shoes. To die for.|
- Halo. Not sure what people did before sleepsacks. They come in two types – 100% cotton and “mircro-fleece.” I always do the micro-fleece in the winter for warmth. And we used extra-large cotton ones the year my son figured out how to climb out of his crib but wasn’t yet ready for a “big boy bed” – bought us some time.
|Love this Halo sleepsack for my little ladybug.|
- Mini Boden. Ultra high quality duds by British designer Johnnie Boden. These are gorgeous and all the rage. I have to be honest and tell you that I don’t find every last Boden item to be drool-worthy. But when they do hit the mark, it’s ahhhh-mazing. And they recently used a child with cerebral palsy as a model – how fantastic is that?
|Boden: T. D. F.
Click here for 20% off your first order if you order direct from Boden’s website.
- Tea Collection. Super soft “globally inspired” Earthy-but-modern clothing. The designers actually travel the world twice annually to find inspiration.
|Tea is also often featured on GILT, and you can get free shipping on GILT if you pay with a Master Card.|
- Oilily. If you like bright colors and lots of patterns, this is the designer for you.
- Carter’s. Carter’s is not that exciting but it’s high-quality stuff for the price.
- UGG Australia. Need I say more?
- Stride Rite. The go-to for high-quality kids’ shoes.
- See Kai Run. Stride Rite quality but with a more “modern” look. Less “sneaker-y.”
|See Kai Run is also often on GILT and RueLaLa.
GILT gives you free shipping any time you pay with a Master Card.
- Crocs and Keens. The summer shoes. Crocs are easier to keep clean and sometimes Keens get stinky and need to be run through the wash. But Keens are more attractive and they seem like they’d be more comfortable too.
- Pediped. Kind of a cross between Stride Rite and See Kai Run. They pride themselves on comfort.
- Primigi. The luxury version of children’s shoes. Simply to die for.
|Primigi shoes are also often on GILT and RueLaLa.|
The Brands – Lesser-Known Brands
*** lesser-known brands are harder to resell. Make sure you include the words “boutique” and “designer” in your subject title on Ebay. Plan to relist several times.
This is an absolutely fabulous brand out of the U.K. I got the sweetest EVER romper for my daughter, one of my all-time favorite pieces. Super soft material and I used the heck out of it with no pilling whatsoever. Consider ordering a size up for the rompers; the dress and cardigan ran true to size.
|Best Romper Ever.|
|Toffee Moon romper. Wish these pics were better.|
|Our latest addition. SO IN LOVE.|
Downright divine. Ethically made in the U.S.A.
|She’s 18 months here, wearing 9 month leggings and a 12 month dress – that’s all they had, but it worked.|
I got this dress and I’m just kind of “meh” about it. I was really hoping the material would be softer and have better movement 🙁
These shoes are gorgeous, and the top ones go perfectly with so many of our outfits. So far they are holding up really well – LOVE.
Just gorgeous. Here’s the mint “lei” dress I got for Claire.
Twirls and Twigs
I am IN LOVE with this whimsical but still practical brand that is ethically made in the U.S.! And I see some Ebay listings that appear to be holding their value VERY well – maybe because it’s also found at Nordstrom’s?
|We have this dress and I am IN LOVE.
Fabric is soft and quality, dress is lined and divine in every way. Runs small if anything.
|Summer dress by Me Too.|
Hit or miss, but a hit is a great one. I absolutely adored this outfit. Delicate, vintagey, a change from the pink, flattering, easy to wash, soft, and easy to wear anywhere. Lots of compliments.
|Nannette Baby outfit worn for professional photoshoot.|
|Photo Credit: Kelly Fitzsimmons Photography (Boston-area) – “like” her on Facebook!
By the way, my son is wearing a Janie & Jack sweater from Ebay and Talbots Kids pants from my local friend Sarah…
I love dressing him too, but we just buy all Sarah’s old stuff since her stuff is so good.
|Another great outfit by Nannette Baby|
Heaven on Earth. This is the softest fabric I have ever felt in my life. LOVE them for infant rompers. I got no end of compliments on the footless romper my friend gave me for my daughter. I’m actually not sure if Zulily features these anymore, but GILT definitely does, and shipping is always free on GILT if you pay with a Master Card.
|FeatherBaby romper I cannot bring myself to resell. LOVE.|
Ciao Bimbi Shoes
Okay this brand I’ve only seen on MyHabit (a site just like Zulily – but owned by Amazon!) but I had to update this entry and include it because I just got these boots for Claire and they are to DIE for. They were $53 … not that much more than Stride Rite and these are $200 dream boots! Going to try to get them in the charcoal color next time this brand is featured.
|Ciao Bimbi boots – this brand is on MyHabit (just like Zulily but owned by Amazon).|
Now I’m just sort of adding in my favorite brands from MyHabit and GILT. Luum is an ultra-high end brand often featured on GILT and these are their “petticoat” dresses. They retail for something like $90 but are just $43 (or less) when they’re on GILT.
I cannot exaggerate the amazingness of these dresses. The sash is super long, making for a gorgeous bow in the back. The petticoat underlay adds not only a new fabric but also a bit of texture to the bottom, for a hint of poof – but not so much that you couldn’t wear it to the park or on a playdate. It’s a throwback to the 1800s, but with modern patterns, and soft easy-to-wash cotton … simply, *simply* divine.
Ultra high-end French designer clothing. Makes my heart flutter just thinking about it. I don’t own any of their girl stuff but even their little jammies and baby outfits are to die for! (Lately I’m finding this brand more frequently featured on GILT – not sure if they still do Zulily).
|Petit Lem lounging outfit – check out the tiny little cuffs, it’s all in the detail.
Worn with See Kai Run “Smaller” shoes. LOVE.
I got these boots, size 4 for my daughter … fantastic price and they make adorable fashion boots! My daughter can walk with them easily. Not sure they’d hold up in inclement weather but they are just too cute with dresses and leggings.
Quality seems excellent, I’m loving this dress. Runs VERY small (at least this dress does) – this is a 24 months and fits perfectly right as she’s turning 18 months.
Excellent quality and super cute but this brand also runs extremely small. And I’ve heard from others so I know it’s not just this particular outfit – it runs 1-2 sizes small.
|Size 24 months fits my daughter at 18 months.|
These sandals are to DIE for and they go well with so many things! Quality seems excellent. BUT BUT BUT be very careful when you order. I ordered a “Toddler 5” and it was huge. It measured 6 inches and had a Euro 23 marked on the bottom – making it really a 7.5 in US sizes. I complained and Zulily made it right – LOVE their customer service. If you’re going to order this brand, I guess be sure you look at the actual measurements box. Apparently that box would have told me that a “5” was 6 inches. Even though every other such box I’ve seen, including others on Zulily, measure a toddler 5 as 4.75 inches.
I’ve only tried one dress by them, and it’s very pretty and fits nicely but the material isn’t as soft as I was hoping for. It’s fine… not excessively stiff or anything, but I was hoping for soft with some degree of stretch.
LOVING these. Got a pair of white sandals with bright flourishes on consignment and they are holding up spectacularly well. Super cute stuff – some of it is very “Livie & Luca” but WAY cheaper – these were $16 on Zulily.
|Like Livie & Luca but WAY cheaper – $16 for these on Zulily!|
This romper is super cute in real life and so far washes very well. I love the ribbons. I’m not a big fan of this fabric, but this is whatever the classic fabric is for all those smocked outfits. Runs true to size.
Mole Little Norway
I’m OBSESSED. I love nordic stuff and this is just divine. This sweater is smooth and soft with amazing detail. I definitely want to try more of their stuff this fall/winter.
The Silly Sissy
They have some cute stuff but I’ve tried two dresses and neither was my absolute favorite. Fabric on the dress pictured here is simple cotton, wrinkles easily, no stretch or give. Runs true to size.
I purchased this dress for my daughter. I *love* the design (retro and Parisian) and it’s lined so that’s nice, but the fabric feels like very cheap cotton. Not soft at all, and seems like it would be very difficult to get a stain out of. Still, it’s very cute.
A friend loves their fleece, footed pajamas. Reports that they are super soft and have a very nice fit and weight.
Nohi by Nktoo
A friend loves the material of this loungewear – reports it’s soft, stretchy, and holds it shape. She also appreciates the cute, modern, different designs.
A lister tried this brand but it was a bust, which is good to know since it appears SO adorable in Zulily’s pics. She ordered black and white striped pants only to discover that the stripe was printed on rather than being part of the fabric. Thus it wore horribly in all the places where the fabric needed to stretch.
Sage Creek Organics
A lister tried this brand and got a pair of leggings that were fantastic.
A lister loves this brand for swimming gear and hats. She reports that the swimming attire is soft, true to size, and has simpler and classier designs than a lot of other brands. She says their hats are “the best” – thin enough that they’re not at all hot, and they dry quickly so they work great in a pool, and the only hat her son doesn’t try to pull off (possibly because it has a little elastic around it).
Very soft and comfortable, runs a little small. Watch for lots of buttons during diaper changes.
A fantastically soft brand using fabric made from bamboo viscose. Super silky, especially great for summer, and lovely mod prints.
Sweet Peanut (babies) and Peanut Buttons (toddlers)
Another favorite. Well made, cute patterns. Runs small.
Very cute but sizing seems erratic. Jammies seem very tall and skinny, hoping that they will stretch some.
In my humble opinion… don’t waste your money. Quality is lacking and sizing seems completely erratic.
Amazing thin fabric, awesome for summer, and very soft and smooth. “I just want to hug my baby non-stop when he’s wearing the romper.” Be sure to wash on gentle cycle though – fabric is so thin it did start ripping around the snaps. Runs true to size.
Runs small but is super cute, durable, and comfortable.
Adorable and great quality.
Runs slightly big, if anything. Quality seems all right.
One lister’s all-time favorite brand. Adorable and the knit pants fit over cloth diapers. Be sure to price check on diapers.com before ordering on Zulily.
Awesome footed pants for infants – the 0-3 months size fit a newborn and still fit well at 4+ months, somehow.
Fabric was not soft – felt like slightly-scratchy muslin. Disappointment.
Cute, durable, runs small.
“One of my favorite boy brands, the quality and fit are great and it runs true to size.” Machine and vehicle themes for boys.
Jelly the Pug
I’ve heard mixed things about this brand. One friend got a dress she is head over heels for, the other said that her outfit was cute but fell apart in the wash.
Max & Ella
I haven’t tried them myself but a lister responded that this is her all-time favorite stuff she’s ever gotten from Zulily. She reports that it wears extremely well and that it runs slightly small.
Excellent quality, true to size, very attractive attire. More of a solid-colors type theme.
And there you have it. All the information I could compile about Zulily. If you have additional knowledge or brand reviews, please share it with me and I can add it to this blog entry! I can be reached at lisa dot murakami at gmail dot com.